Adapted from Detoxinista.com
Cherry and almonds is one of my favourite flavour combinations (see my previous Cherry Almond Smoothie post). These cookies are filling, not to sweet, and healthy enough to eat for breakfast. Any jam can be used (try my Strawberry Raspberry Chia Jam) or try the easy to make cherry jam below. Yes, it is easy to make this jam as there is no waiting or gelatin used – just Omega 3-filled chia seeds to act as the binding ingredient.
Makes 16 – 24 cookies (depending on your desired size)
FOR THE COOKIES
¼ cup coconut oil, softened
¼ cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
2 cups almond flour
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
FOR THE CHERRY JAM
½ cup fresh or frozen cherries
¼ cup water
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or a Silpat. In a small saucepan, combine all of the cherry jam ingredients, bring to a boil and let cool and for at least 15 minutes while you prepare the cookies.
2. In a separate bowl, cream together the coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and almond extracts until smooth. Gradually stir in the almond flour and sea salt, and mix well until a uniform dough is formed.
3. Scoop the dough by tablespoons and use your hands to roll into smooth balls. (I made mine into one inch balls and this made 16 cookies). Place the balls onto the lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart, and use your thumb to press into the center of each cookie, creating a well for the jam.
4. To prepare the cherry jam filling, transfer the jam ingredients into a high-speed blender, and blend until uniformly combined, about 1 minute.
5. Use a spoon to drop a dollop of jam into the center of each cookie.
6. Bake for about 12-15 minutes until lightly golden. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.