If you are looking for a nutty, sweet bar, then this is the bar for you. Perfect for that afternoon craving. They won’t last long as these are a taste explosion.
6 tsp coconut oil
2 cups almond flour or almond meal
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 tsp salt
FOR THE CARAMEL FILLING
1 and 1/4 cup Medjool dates, pitted
1 tbsp almond butter (or nut butter of choice)
1 tbsp almond milk, or more if needed
pinch of fine grain sea salt
FOR THE CHOCOLATE TOPPING
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tbsp maple syrup (or a little more if you like it sweeter)
21 pecan halves (more/less depending on the number of your bars)
1. TO MAKE THE SHORTBREAD CRUST: Line a 8 x 10 baking dish with parchment paper.
2. In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the coconut oil. Remove from heat and add the almond flour/meal, maple syrup, and salt. Mix until well combined.
3. Pour in parchment-lined dish and place in the freezer for about 15 minutes until almost set (don’t worry if a little wet looking in the middle).
4. TO MAKE THE CARAMEL FILLING: Soak dates in water until soft (only if necessary) and drain. Place pitted dates, almond butter, milk, and salt in the food processor and process until almost smooth.
5. Spread the caramel layer over top of the crust until it’s as smooth and even as you can get it. Place back in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to set.
6. TO MAKE THE CHOCOLATE TOPPING: In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the coconut oil. Mix in the cocoa powder and maple syrup and stir until smooth.
7. Pour evenly over the caramel filling. Place back in freezer until set (about 10-15 minutes).
8. Once firm, pull the whole thing out by parchment paper and cut into desired size bars. Place a pecan half on each.
9. Enjoy right out of the freezer.