Meatballs adapted from Elana’s Pantry
These meatballs are packed with veggies and are very moist and delicious. The sauce, also veggie-packed, compliments the meatballs for a complete meal. If desired, serve over brown rice pasta.
Makes 18 large meatballs
Ingredients for the meatballs:
1 cup zucchini, chopped (about 1 zucchini)
1 cup carrots, chopped (about 2 carrots)
½ cup parsley, coarsely chopped
3 medium cloves garlic
¼ cup almond flour
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 pound ground turkey
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
Directions for the meatballs:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor, pulse together the zucchini, carrots, parsley and garlic.
3. In a large bowl, combine the veggies with the almond flour, egg, and turkey. Add salt, pepper and chili powder and mix until combined.
4. Form into tablespoon sized balls and bake meatballs for 20 to 25 minutes.
Ingredients for the sauce:
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 or 2 garlic cloves
2 zucchini, julienned
1 10 oz can organic tomato sauce
Chili flakes, to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for the sauce:
1. In large frying pan, heat coconut oil. Sauté onion and garlic for five minutes or so. Add the zucchini and cook for another few minutes until softened.
2. Add the tomato sauce, chilli flakes and salt and pepper. Mix well and serve over the meatballs.
To julienne the zucchini, I used a Kuhn Rikon julienne peeler. You can also use a spiralizer to make zucchini noodles. Or, simply a carrot peeler to make zucchini strips.