Adapted from the Wheat Belly Cookbook
Strawberry Shortcake is back in my diet again with this recipe. It has the fluffy and light taste of shortcake, but without the bloat. Top with some Strawberry Raspberry Chia Jam (in my previous post) and you will be in shortcake heaven. Since these biscuits are so nutritious, they can be eaten for breakfast as well.
Makes 10 biscuits
1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
3/4 cup cold water
1 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup strawberries, finely chopped
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1 egg (or 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce for a vegan version)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl or mug, combine the flaxseeds and water. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, coconut, baking soda, salt, and strawberries. Mix well. Stir in the coconut oil and combine thoroughly.
4. Remove the flaxseed mixture from the freezer and whisk in the egg. Stir into the flour mixture. (The dough will be somewhat stiff).
5. Using hands, grab a small handful and form into 2-inch round patties.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
1. I realized I ran out of eggs halfway into the recipe. So, I replaced the egg with a quarter cup of unsweetened applesauce. It worked like a charm!
2. For variations, try replacing the strawberries with the following:
a) blueberries and some lemon zest
b) pineapple chunks for a Pina Colada twist
c) goji berries and some chocolate chips
If you try them before I do, please let me know the results!