Kale is probably the “green du jour”. It sure has come a long way from being the garnish on the side of the plate at Denny’s. Kale is a superfood containing all kinds of good stuff, including fibre, calcium, iron and vitamins A, C, and K.
This kale salad rocks and I will definitely be making it at least once a week. It is made with my favourite dressing which I also use as a condiment for veggie rice wraps and brown rice crackers. The best part of this salad is that there is no cooking involved. This is raw food at its best.
5 cups kale, chopped thinly
1 large carrot, julienned
1 red pepper, chopped
3 green onions chopped
2 tbsp tahini or almond butter
1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 tbsp tamari sauce
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 tsp ginger, peeled and grated
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup water
1. Blend the dressing ingredients in a blender (I used a Nutri-Bullet) until smooth.
2. Pour the dressing over the kale and massage into the kale leaves until the kale is soft and no longer coarse.
3. Add the carrot, red pepper and green onions and toss gently until the veggies are also covered with the dressing.
1. I buy chopped ready-to-go or triple washed kale to speed up the preparation time.
2. At first the kale looks so large in the bowl, but as you massage it, it reduces down to a quarter of its original volume. Amazing!
3. To quickly julienne the carrots, I bought a Kuhn Rikon julienne peeler. It takes up very little drawer space and juliennes a carrot in almost no time. The added advantage is that there is no need to use a mandolin. The results look very professional in very little time.
Here’s my Kuhn Rikon julienne peeler: