I named this soup “Sunshine Soup” because it is primarily made of ingredients that are the colour of a glowing sunshine – red lentils, carrots, and orange bell peppers. It is creamy and comforting.
This soup is one of my quick-go-to meals. Just throw everything in a big pot, cook and blend. Serve with a side salad and/or gluten free crackers. No time to make a salad? Just throw some greens like spinach or baby kale in your bowl on top of the soup. Stir and enjoy.
Simple and Sansational!
2 tsp grapeseed or coconut oil
I onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp cumin seeds (or 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin)
2 tsp smoked paprika (or 1 tsp chili flakes)
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 orange bell pepper, chopped
1 1/2 cups red lentils
4 cups organic chicken or veggie stock
1. Heat oil on medium heat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Sauté onions, garlic and spices until onions are translucent.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes until carrots are softened.
3. Use a hand blender to purée soup. Adjust seasonings to taste.
1. If using store-bought stock, check the ingredients to make sure the first three ingredients do not contain salt.
2. To avoid splashing the soup when blending, keep the hand blender blade head below the soup. Using a hand blender saves time as opposed to transferring the soup to a blender and back again in the pot to reheat.
3. Try varying up the spices. For example, use basil and oregano in place of the cumin and paprika for a more Italian flavour. Or, add turmeric and garam masala for an Indian flair. You can also vary up the veggies and substitute the carrots with tomatoes or roasted red peppers with basil and oregano. The possibilities are endless!