Adapted from Simply Gluten-Free
This is an amazing tart that reminds me of an Austrian flan I had on a trip years ago. It is filling and nutritious enough for breakfast or as a middle of day snack with a cup of tea.
Serves 8 to 10
6 tablespoons melted coconut oil
1¾ cups almond flour
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
Pinch of salt
¼ cup maple syrup
8 large fresh apricots, halved, pitted and then halved again (if apricots are not in season then canned will work fine, cut each half in half again). Frozen, sliced peaches would work nicely too (just thaw and sauté lightly in coconut oil for about five minutes until softened)
Unsweetened, shredded coconut
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 9 inch square pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the melted coconut oil, ground almonds, eggs, salt and maple syrup. Mix very well with a whisk until lumps disappear and pour into prepared pan.
3. Arrange the apricots or peaches in concentric circles on top of the batter. You want the edges of the apricots/peaches to stick out of the batter a bit. Top with unsweetened, shredded coconut and press down lightly.
4. Bake for 40 – 50 minutes or until browned and set. Rotate the dish twice while baking for even browning.
5. Let cool and remove from springform pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.