Adapted from Ricki Heller
I finally found a gluten free and healthier version to classic Indian samosas. These have that spicy samosa flavour and are super easy to whip up. ‘Tis the season for parties and these patties would be great to bring as an appetizer/finger food. Enjoy with a dipping sauce like my Cilantro Lime Sauce or with a dressing like the one for my Kickass Kale and Carrot Salad. They are also tasty just by themselves with a glass of red wine.
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 cups cooked chickpeas, or 1 can (19 oz), well rinsed and drained
5 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro or parsley (I used cilantro)
3 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 heaping tbsp tahini
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin
1/2 cayenne pepper, or to taste (omit to make kid-friendly)
1/4 tsp fine sea salt, or to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Steam the sweet potato cubes until fork tender (10 to 15 minutes).
3. Mash the chick peas with a potato masher.
4. Add the sweet potatoes and the rest of the ingredients. Mix well.
5. Measure a heaping tablespoon and form into a patty and place on cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 25 minutes, until the tops are dry. Flip over and continue to bake for another 20-25 minutes, until browned.
7. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
1. For a quick vegetarian meal, have 3 or 4 of these with a side salad.
2. If you are short on time, you can skip the patty baking step and serve these as mashed potatoes.